The past two months have been good training for me. I’m finally coming around and feeling good about most of my workouts. However, my swimming has been quite tough lately. We’ll see tonight, as I have some fast sets, where I am speed wise.
My 30km run last week was good. It was 33C (almost 90F) when I started my run, but the humidity was low so it was nice. I felt strong, but still running slow, not much faster than 5min/kms. I’m still looking for that 3:30 IM marathon and if all goes well, I should come pretty close.
I rode Jebel Hafeet as well over the weekend. That mountain can be a bitch when you haven’t been up there in a while. I wasn’t really trying to go fast, I just wanted to spin up, but I managed to do it in just over 42mins, which I think is pretty close to my fastest time when I WAS trying! That’s a good sign. I’ll be back once or twice for some BG hill repeats, but nothing else before IM RSA in a few weeks. After that I will hit that mountain hard culminating in at least a 4x up session before France in June.
Plane tickets and B&B have all been arranged for South Africa. I’ve glued new tubular, just need a final tune-up next week to check things out. I should have some Infinit arriving today, malto isn’t exactly available here. I ordered the one with and without protein mix – Mark Allen signature formula. I hope to try it out my last long ride this weekend.
Olympic race report from two weeks ago: Another podium spot (3rd Open Male), unexpectedly though. There was a bit of confusion on the swim, which meant some swam short and some swam long and some swam in between. The course was supposed to 1600m long, but turned out to be at least closer 2000m or more as Faris Al Sultan was only able to swim the “long” course in 24+ minutes. I swam 29 and change. I got pretty pissed as there wasn’t much help out there to direct people, nor were the bouys differentiated in any way. I might have mailed in part of the swim.
Onto the bike. As usual, there was a massive headwind followed by a nice tailwind. Cruising at over 50kph was nice on the back stretch. Not being able to hold 300 watts into the wind was frustrating, but I got through in just over an hour, averaging only 25 more watts than my halfironman (250). It might have something to do with the fact that I rode 180km the day before. I rode very easy, as it was a charity ride, so we went as slow as the slowest person, but 7 hours in the saddle over a 9 hour trip takes a little out of you…
The run is where the day before caught up to me. I could hold 4min/kms for the life of me. I slowed and slowed and was pissed to see all the short course swimmers out in front of me. I’ve seen those guys in all other races, behind me! That’s why I didn’t expect to get on the podium this day, and again, I might have checked out a few times in anger of the situation.
I’m still trying to get a hold of the podium photo.
World Record for number of date palms… http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10295183.html
No dancing in public! http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidANA20090314T095049ZPCZ51
3min 39second ascent of Jebel Hafeet…he wasn’t riding a bicycle…http://www.ameinfo.com/187762.html
I wanted to send this photo to friends and family with this quotation, "I guess the war in Iraq is closer than I thought..."
No comments:
Post a Comment