Did Vanilla Ice steal the hook from Bowie and Queen or not?
The DRVTT Festival really drained me...I have felt very unmotivated the last two days. I took Monday completely off, although I wanted to swim or easy bike, I didn't do either. This combined with my new found pressure (my own) to win the Hawthorne Farm Sprint this weekend has made me a bit low on emotions so far this week. Having won the Jack Frost TT (although only Cat 4) and then the Beaver Freezer against some serious competition it has elevated my game and expectations I place on myself. This is very new to me. I had no expectation at DRVTT to win, as I knew I was limiting myself with HR and Brazil being so close - not the time to dig deep.
So, for the Hawthorne Farm Race I have new feelings/emotions/expectations than ever before. I had high expectations at the Freezer, but I was an underdog then... How will I handle my new found game? Tune in this weekend to find out!
Similiarly, I have high expectations for Brazil - not to win, but to qualify for Kona. This is the real test, but this weekend will be a lesson on coping with high expectations. I have always known about the mental game of racing, but never have I understood it completely, nor have I had this amount of emotions for races. Nerves are there almost always, the more nervous I get, the better I think I can do in the race. This was very evident in Cross last year, as I had high expectations that didn't pan out, yet I still was nervous for every race, thinking, "This was the day."
On to wokrouts this week...
Monday: OFF
Tuesday:
Swim: I felt like shit when I tried to swim at lunch...quit and went back after work to complete it, plus a sauna session (blood plasma prep for Brazil).
Wednesday:
2 hour run to find that "enjoyable pace" I found it, but it felt harder than it should have been... 14ish miles... afterwards one hour spin on trainer
Thursday:
40min easy lunch time run
PM: 2600 yrd swim before spinning home. Sauna session too. Easy spin home from 24 Hour LO...took it slow and the long way home for almost 30 miles.
Friday:
Supposed to be day off, but since I rode home last night, I didn't have much choice than to ride into work. Took the fix gear and rode with Brian and Tommy. The fixie forces cadence and easy pace...good choice...Hawthorne Farms Sprint tomorrow...
Saturday:
Hawthorne Farms Sprint...see next post for race report.
Sunday:
Easy 1:45 ride on the cross bike on the Banks-Vernonia trail with Bill.
Actual Time 11:47
Planned Time 10:00
Swim Distance 6700 yd
Bike Distance 65 mi
Run Distance 18.8 mi
Race Distance 16.5 mi (500yrd swim, 13.2 bike, 5k run)
About Me
- Garren
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice blog today. Taking it up a notch, or several notches in a race does take experience, and you're getting the hang of it. Fear of being over-taken is a great motivator, as you stated at Beaver Freezer. I feel the same. I somehow find a way to take it up to a point which is far beyond any of my workouts. For those who have their best performances in workouts...more power to them. I try to dig deep when the time is right. Hammer out that race this weekend. Fight hard man!
Post a Comment