About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Friday, May 11, 2007

Week of May 7th, 2007 - Last Week of Real Workouts

Let the count down begin... It's time to pay more attention to diet and sleep for Brazil. I'm trying to get more sleep, tracking my weaking HR (40-46 depending on the previous days workouts) and eating better.

Here is a list from Scott that are good choices; lets see how I have been doing...
Chicken, Tuna, Lean Red Meat (sirloin, lean ground beef, lean deli meat), Nuts - watch the calories here though (adams natural peanut butter is great for a spread - healthy fat), Egg Whites, Spinach, Broccoli, Zucchini, Multigrain Bread, Wild Rice, Pasta, Olive Oil or Canola Oil
Fruits


Getting enough protein this year has been an issue for me...I'm doing better recently though. Good thing I like broccoli and spinach...and I eat most everything on the list and then some...lots of veggies and spinach salads for lunch, natural whole grain granola and non-fat yogurt.

And some bad choices...
Anything deep fried, Bacon, Egg Yokes, Store Muffins, Cakes, White Bread, Dairy Butter
Cream, Ice Cream (use Safeway's frozen yogurt), More than 1 beer a night, Burgers, Starbucks - a latte is not food, Coke - only when needed for a boost, Gravy, Store Cream Sauces


So, I avoid deep fried foods, store muffins, white bread, butter, cream, lattes, gravy, store cream sauces, cakes, ice cream almost always anyway...so that was not a problem. Bacon and egg yokes every onece and awhile, but since I have refrained from burgers (recently) I stopped eating bacon and eggs...the Wilbur @ McMenamins is too good. Beers are another matter. I really wanted to cut alcohol for this training period, but it didn't happen. Beers were usaally limited to 2-3 which might average out to 1/night/week...maybe... It sucks to train hungover.

Onto the workouts this week...

Monday:
Moved my swim to Tuesday.
Bike: Headed out to Monday Masters @ PIR for my Tuesday 2 hour bike workout. I had a steady state interval for 60 mins and figured sitting in the peloton would be perfect. It was, 145-150bpm. I needed a few hard short efforts in there as well and used the opportunity to close down breaks for those. It was fun and my legs felt very snappy and full of life. Check out my "off the front" photo...don't worry I wasn't there for long...if I had paid more attention I actually would have won the 4/5 race if I kept the lead for one more lap.

http://oregonvelo.exposuremanager.com/p/pir070507/img_2013_smy49

There was a bad crash in the 1/2/3 field and I hope everyone involved is okay. Best wishes to them.

Tuesday:
Lunch time run for 40 mins.
My easy ride consisted of my riding to 24 Hour Pearl to swim (3300 yards in 45mins) and then to massage and back home. Total time was around an hour in the CCX bike.

Wednesday:
PM swim:
WU: 200E, 5*200 (easy/IMRP/MH/H/H) MS: 15*100 (10s) try to descend splits each 500. CD: 500 easy
This swim was very good. I felt and was very fast today. 200's went 2:39/2:30/2:29/2:24/2:22 and the 100's were 1:18/1:20/1:20/1:20/1:19 -- 1:17/1:18/1:16/1:15/1:15 -- 1:12/1:13/1:13/1:12/1:12 and my CD was a 6:24 500! Crazy!
PM Run was 90min IM+ efforts - 150bpm building to 160bpm. I went to Fairmont Loop by Council Crest - rolling course. 3.5 miles per lap. Going by HR I had no idea what my pace was going to be. First lap 27:09 averaged 138bpm; 2nd lap was 24:50 @ 155bpm and last lap was 23:38 @ 161bpm. The second lap was just over 7min pace and the last was around 6:45...that's very good for me. I'm happy with today's workouts...esp. since I ran after the swim.

Thursday:
Lunch run: 40mins with some 40 yards strides.
Easy spin home (22miles; 75mins)

Friday:
Easy spin to work (22miles; 80 minutes)
Sauna at lunch.

Saturday:
IM session swim:
IM interval bike:
Late afternoon run:

Sunday:
AM swim:
Easy 2 hour run (HR <145)

No comments: