About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Getting Better Everyday

While there is a lot to tell about my first 13 days here in the capital city of Abu Dhabi, the most important thing is that I’m doing much better since my last entry. I’ve worked out a few times, accomplished a few critical tasks and I am slowly settling in. I still do not have my residency visa which is holding me up getting a car (insurance and license), postpaid mobile, liquor license, cable and internet. I seemed have worked around the visa part for getting my housing. I’m sure it’s because I paid so much for it. Apparently I broke the record for securing housing in 8 days of getting to the country. Occupancy rate is north of 98%.


Abu Dhabi police car...VW GTI, awesome! And no, no rides in the police car for me.

I’ve hooked up with another Ironman triathlete here and have swam and rode with him so far. We went for a ride last night at Jebel Hafeet, it’s a 7 mile climb up 4000’. Reminds me of Gibralter in Santa Barbara. Although much hotter even though we started our ride in the dark. All the roads here a lighted and after dark 80mins from Abu Dhabi in Al Ain, there are no cars, well very few. They all honked at us, but it was in support, not disgust. Go here to see Faris riding up the same road during a race earlier this year. They have duathlon that starts from the bottom and goes to the hotel, then runs the rest of the way to the top and back. I ran the same run course from the top to the hotel and back up last night after the ride. It was a good ride, 52mins and the record is less than 35 I think. My HR was over 170 the whole time and watts were less than 300…not in shape and the heat shoots the HR up. Rumors have it there a proper Ironman race is in the works for Dubai…see you all soon!

My first swim was at Al Jezira Club, local professional soccer club campus, public pool. It’s 50m and warm. There is a nicer pool at the Officers Club closer to my new flat that I will have to check out. It’s more expensive, like twice as, but we’ll see. The UAE Olympic team trains at Al Jeezira and some are barely faster than I Kevin said. They got a wild card entry to China.

My first two runs, since I am talking about my first workouts, were on a treadmill at the hotel. 30 mins of nothing. My run last night and ride were the first workouts outside since getting here. Wasn’t terrible, but definitely warm.

For the next three months ending in August, the weather gets progressively wamer and more humid. I need to get a digital gauge so I can report the craziness that goes on for you all. You cannot trust the papers or online since they under report it. When the temperature gets over 50 Celsius, they have to cancel all outdoor jobs. Workers die all summer in lessor weather, but since they do not want to slow progress, they report “cooler” temperatures.
I received a very good piece of advice last night from Kevin as well. He said, in similar words, don’t plan on accomplishing more than one task each day – like paying phone bill, getting license or whatever. If you do, you will drive yourself crazy – between the long lines, unhelpful staff, traffic, parking and random forms to fill out. Brilliant advice.


It was also interesting to hear an insiders take on the Tri Dubai team and the pros that come to train here. Faris is here often and they ride with him as well. Macca was here earlier this year as well. The winter could be very cool if those guys show up again. There is loads of other shit to tell, but I can’t remember everything. I’m going to swim again today, maybe actually do a workout. I need to get my laundry as well since yesterday they were closed when I stopped by even though it was after 4pm. Businesses close from 1-4.

The sunset photo driving home from Bab Al Shams the other weekend...


No comments: