About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Friday, June 13, 2008

The Weekend

It's the weekend finally. I had big plans to ride this morning at 3:30am, and even went to bed early. 2:30 came, didn't feel like going, 4:30 came, didn't feel like going to the 5:30 ride either. I've been in a bit of a funk the last couple of days. Things are in a bit of a holding pattern. I made big strides last week, yet this week was lifeless, so to speak. I have lots to look forward to, but at least I got out of bed and went to Starbucks. Nothing like $5 coffee to cheer you up!

Edit: I also got a massage today, it was decent. I also chatted with Jen, as I always do over Skype in the morning and afternoons, which has also helped me get in a better mood. Like I said, there is a lot to look forward to...internet at my flat tomorrow, furniture on the 22nd and 24th, car delivery mid-July and Jen arriving July 31st!!! These are the things that get me out of bed every morning.

In addition, I haven't spoke much of work, why? Well, it's been pretty slow, but I am very excited about the re-brand we are going through and what that means for the bank and for me. There will be lots of research to be completed once the re-brand is launched and I get trained on the BI software. As in any company, roll out dates are just a figment of imagination, so maybe by July I will see training. I've been going to the office in a suit everyday since I arrived in May. I need to go buy some more suits, need more in the rotation...

Sunday after work I should have a car (late 90's Land Rover Discovery) from a collegue at work to borrow until my VW get here. For those who don't know what my R32 is...here's a photo. It will look exactly like the photo. I just need to figure out how to get Thule or Yakima racks for it over here. Nobody deals them here and the VW dealership will charge at least double to get them from Germany VW. I plan to email Rack Attack and see if they can offer to ship the Thule cross bars and two bike mounts. They are lighter than the Yakima bars/mounts. Shipping will then be cheaper, they are just an odd shape, so we'll see.

The car won't have navigation, but I plan on getting one, the RNS 510, VW version because it does a shit load of other things, bluetooth, hard drive, dvd player... I can get a euro edition online, but i may also be able to order one from the dealership in Dubai. Other that some tint, that's all I want to do to it for now.

I have been able to watch a lot of the Euro 2008 soccer on TV as well. That's been good, Croatia and Holland look good, i vote for the Dutch to take it.

I miss Sunday dinner at my parents with my brother, sister and Jen. You never realize how nice it is to see your parents and family on a regualr basis until you don't. Jen parents live in Ohio, she hasn't lived there for years. Must have been hard at first. Guess that is what I am going through now. Don't like it. It's not the same as when I went to college, I was only 90mins away and the same area code and time zone... try a half a world away and 11 time zones away... sucks sometimes.

I also miss riding my bike in Portland, with all my friends... the weather makes it hard, the lack of riding makes it difficult, but lack of training friends is the worst. That's a lot of you guys and gals reading this. I was never the most social of the group (would have never guessed that, would you?) but I was always glad you were there. The commeraderie is invaluable. My spell checking isn't working... At any rate, I wanted everyone to know I miss them.
Who's coming to dinner and training? Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...
Photo of Mt Hood from Clear Lake Fire Lookout on New Years 2007/8

1 comment:

Bill Thompson said...

The R32 will be nice. I'll be interested to see the difference from the GTI. Also, just so you know the group rides/runs are not the same without G-Watts!