I was hoping to post once my car arrived so I could post some photos and first impressions, but it will have to wait. I’m car less again…see photo. The nightwatch men came up last night to fix my sink and washer/dryer leak and told me my tire was flat. No shit? It’s been the right rear where the shaking is occurring around 80kph, so the tire might have been the culprit. And the reason it’s now flat. No problem, I waited until dark when it wasn’t 115F anymore to change it. Put on my headlamp and went out to inspect the situation. Got out the book, since it wasn’t obvious where the jack and tools were. Got the jack out of the engine compartment, but the lug wrench is nowhere to be found. I search around some more, but nothing. Shit. So it sits where it died. The owner is on holiday, so he can’t help me. So, whatever, I wait a couple more days and my car will be here. Tomorrow or the next day.
My Thule stuff arrived yesterday – fairing, bars and two mounts. The towers and fit kit should ship out on Wednesday. Hopefully, they arrive by next Thursday when I pick up Jen in Dubai. With two large suitcases, some carry ons and a bike box, it’s be nice to strap the bike box to the roof. She’s bringing some straps with her as well. Nothing can outweigh my excitement for her to arrive, but my new car and Apple TV are exciting. Again, no where near her arrival, but nonetheless exciting. A week from Thursday she arrives!
I haven’t yet planned much as I will still be working while she is here, but I do plan to take a few days the week before she has to report to work in Dubai to take her somewhere. I want to go to Sahalah, Oman, but it’s the Arab tourist season and things are more expensive and crowded in August. Maybe after Ramadan in October for those holidays. It’s very cool (and cooler in temperature than AD) and green in the Sahalah area. It’s like a 4 hour trip to Muscat and then another 4 hours south from there. It’s a two day trip, I want to stop and cruise around Muscat a bit on the way down and maybe back. The Frankincense trade from this area is the modern equivalent of the “Incense Road” from 3rd and 2nd century BC.
Abu Dhabi needs one of those high speed catamaran ferries to go between AD and Dubai and Doha, Qatar. You can get to Qatar in 3 hours or Dubai in just over one hour. Going to Dubai is easy by car, but getting to Qatar that way would be pretty sweet.
Workout wise, I’m getting a little better. I rode last weekend. It was 87F and 87% humidity making it feel like over 100F. Once of the island, it was better, but as the sun burned the moisture out of the air, I could feel it getting hotter and by the time I got home it was 99F and “feeling like” 119F! That’s a little warm. The ride was good, meet up with about 30 riders. They rode past my place, so I just meet them instead of riding into town. I really didn’t need to make it a longer day that it was already going to be. Only five of us went on the long rout, 100k, and the three girls were riding away from me… so out of shape. They were going over 32kph for an easy ride, nearly 20mph. That speed and heat, it was hard to even draft. I need to get my ass in gear!
I’m going to build up the TT bike this week and give that a go. There is a weird creaking going with the Veloforma. I lubed the seatpost with more carbon lube and I think that may have solved it. But there is also some sort of rub or grind in my PT wheel when out of the saddle, so I want to put it on the Kuota to see what happens when sprinting. Is it break rub or does the PT hub need servicing…
I thought inflation here (double digits) and maybe back home (~5%) was starting to get on the high side…whatever, check out Zimbabwe!
Harare: Zimbabwe is introducing a $100 billion banknote as rampant inflation shows no signs of slowing down. But the note may soon be worthless in a country where the official inflation rate is 2.2 million per cent. The new bills will officially come into circulation Monday, although they were available in the market on Saturday. The new $100 billion banknote is not enough to buy a loaf of bread. It can only buy four oranges. The new note is equal to one dollar.Several new notes have been introduced in 2008 as a response to Zimbabwe's inflation problem. A $10 million banknote came into circulation in January but has now become almost worthless.
Here's my villa in case i havent posted it before... kinda hazy today...
No comments:
Post a Comment