About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Monday, March 31, 2008

Race Prep

Along with the 5 months of training, the last weeks of IM prep have more to do with mental preparation than anything. Your training is complete aside from a few key workouts to keep your strength and intensity race ready. It time to make goals and set expectations. My #1 goal is to make it Kona. #2 goal is to podium. The conditions are the unknown, to which I will not worry about. I don't have a disc to use, so worrying about a last minute race wheels decision will not loom over my head. I will have tested all clothing and gear prior to the race, so I know everything will work. Nutrition is tested and a plan is written, its up to me to complete it. You can control yourself, nothing else, so worrying about the competition, weather, whatever is pointless. Race your race to the best of your ability. The last 10k of the marathon is a self full filling prophecy for most people, thinking that that's the turning point, the point you will bonk and the race becomes hard. I'm changing my point of view. The last 10k is where I negative split the marathon, it' where I pass those going slower and bonking. I plan to feel good and push through to the end claiming my podium spot and Kona slot!

Today is a day off. I will actually swim, since I need to swim at least every other day to keep the feel of the water and stay strong. Maybe a run since I switched up my long ride/run over the weekend. I also have a sauna session and massage. Thursday is another day off for a little massage again. Jesse is going to AZ with us so that will be sweet.

Job front: I received an offer yesterday early am... I have since written a counter offer letter and run it by my contact (future director) for advice. I got the pay grade level and title, but some of the benefits were not commiserate with that level. I'll get that worked out as well as a start date this week.

I dropped of the TT bike with race wheels to get race tuned as well my cross bike. I think I will sell the Ridley X-Fire carbon cross bike. I could use the couple grand I can get for it to move with and pay for the new road bike that is currently at the painters! Plus, I would keep the cross bike here and ride it this x-mas, but then when??? Better to sell it. I can always go buy a new one if I want to ride here when I return for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck this weekend. I'm sure you're going to have a great day!

Stay cool. :)

scott benjamin