About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week of March 19th, 2007

This week is either (and i haven't decided) a really bad karma week or a feel good I got through it and PR'd a few things week. I'm picking the later, because that is the smart thing.

Monday
AM run - 40 mins, noting special here.
Swim – 3900
PM run was supposed to be 2 hours. Again I was running home from LO 24 via my ride home route. However, I decided to take a different route home to get to the cemetery. Got a bit lost, but pulled out the BlackBerry and logged into Goggle Maps to find the street that went through. On my way again, I ran through a private community up by Lewis & Clark. Older, but super swank estates up there. Did i mention it was raining and windy the whole time? Did I mention that I bought a cheap longsleeve shirt at Performance to wear since I only had a water resistant vest? Did I mention that I called it a day after I was colder running that standing still? The cavalry came and picked me up 90 minutes into the run...thanks Uma!

Tuesday
Chaos trying to swim, so it was just the am bike into work. Can you believe i got to the gym and no suit? Fine, but 24 Hour likes to throw suits away or there are gross dudes stealing left around suits... I went to PDX Swimwear for another (I just bought the one I lost). Get back to the gym and there is a stupid water aerobics class...taking the whole pool up!!!! So pissed I could have thrown, hit, done whatever to a lot of things. Instead I tried to clear my karma and give some cash to the homeless guy at the street corner…i hope it works. No swim, too pissed to deal with 24 int he pearl or Dirty Downtown 24...gross.

Wednesday
Lunch – 40run
Swim before spin class – 4000 choice
Spin class - last class. Not on form today, but i survived.

Thursday
Lunch run – interval workout. You could say I entered new territory today on the run. Intervals went 800-1000-1200-1000-800 with 400 rest in between. I needed to get the HR over 180, well over on the last two. I was starting in the 160 (Zone 5 of a six zone HR dealio). Went too fast on the first 800, running in the 170s @ 5:30 pace...relaxed a bit and hit the second 1000 hard. Still running 5:40 pace, but I was balls out and barely getting over 180, 182 in fact was MAX today on both the 1000 and 800. I have never run this fast in races or training. A PR of sorts. I'm happy to have run that fast. Just need to remember that feeling and get there in the last 10k of Brazil...
Easy 2k swim followed by an easy 60min spin through LO, although lots of climbing. Checking out new route over mountain park to get home.

Friday
PR Swim day. This was supposed to be done Tuesday, but you already knew that. I swam an extra 100 yards to get 6k. This was the longest swim of my career at one time. Neck/shoulder were fine.

Saturday
Coach said this week would be tough, but damn. Bike threshold workout was f’ed up due to trainer being broke. Stupid Tacx Flow! So I switched to the good ole Cyclops. However, I was not able to get my HR over 140. I need to get to 160 and go from there…10min on 5 off, 8 on, 4 off, 6 on, 3 off, 4 on, 2 off, 1 max, recovery spin. After the 5 minute of the 8, I quit. No matter how fast I spun, or how big a gear I turned, NADA! So I did my Trun. Good run too. Prior to this I swam 2k and lifted upper body afterwards.

Sunday
This was supposed to be the day of ease, I was instructed to “ride with the ladies.” However, karma police had other ideas. This week has been all about “other ideas.” Apparently, my attempt to reverse my bad fortune by donating cash to the homeless guy was a feeble attempt.
4:15 ride, 70 miles and 3000’ or so of climbing. Back to karma. I had no less than 5 flats today!!! That again is a PR. See, this week is also about PRs! I got a flat before we even started (for the second week in a row). 2 minutes later, another! It wasn’t until my third or fourth flat did I notice the giant gash in my tire. Combined with having 18/25 tubes for a 28 tire didn’t help, but shouldn’t have been an issue.

Actual Time 19:19
Planned Time 24:10
Swim Distance 16900 yd - PR
Bike Distance 145 mi
Run Distance 35.8 mi
Flats – 5 – PR


I am a little down on the time again this week over planned, but some workouts were completed faster than planned. An hour of riding and lifting were the only things missed.

No comments: