About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Weekend Wrap-Up

Thursday Oct 26th

Today was a short, 2 hour, spin to Forest Park for some off-road cross-like stuff. Today was nothing hard, just "base" stuff. I was that word base loosely because it is hard to go easy while practicing for cross. Everything just seems to speed up. Climbed up Saltzman again and down Firelane 5. Took longer than normal, since I was by myself, didn't want to crash and have to walk out with out help...that's all folks.

Friday Oct 27th

More of the same. This time with friends. Took 11 seconds off my Firelane 5 decsent. Down to 3:39 now. Hammered with friends on the way off to shake of the cobwebs...good times.

Saturday Oct 28th

This is the or one of the greatest days in Beaver Nation history. Today the Oregon State Beavers knocked off #3 USC!!! Unbelievable. My father was there, it was fathers day weekend @ OSU, but he has no more kids there anymore. My little brother graduated earlier this year. Anyway, great day to be a Beaver!!!

Today was also the First Annual Beer Crit. Same rules as the Beer Mile (beermile.com) but on bikes and off-road, cross style! Oh yeah! Here's how stupid or whatever you want to call me I am. Last night I poured a can and a bottle out to see which empties faster. Then I pound one of each to see which I could pound faster. Nothing like drinking, pounding beer, alone. At any rate, the 12oz can of beer won. That's what i used today. Miller High Life was the beer. Felt F1x is the bike... There were 5 Ironheads and 3 Guiness Cycling guys there for the race on Powell Butte. I was nearly last from the start, 18 seconds to "pound" a beer is not good or fast. I caught the lead pack coming in for beer #2, once again, fell off the pace and never gained ground. As for the Guiness cat 1/2 riders, i beat them all! Wankers drink slower than I do! One guy might of won, but he threw-up after beer #3, thus DQ'd, well penalized with an additional beer, but he chose not to. I ended fourth, behind 3 other Ironman triathletes, what does that say...?

Sunday Oct 29th - Cross Crusade Halloween @ Flying M Ranch
Most people were in costume and most were drinking allday. With my warm-up drink and bike real hard yesterday, I felt a pre-race beer was a good idea today. Shit, it can't get worse than 39th this week, can it? It didn't. I don't have offical results yet, but i should be in the 20's if not teens and maybe score some points! Two races left, my top 5 overall is all but slipped away. It about being a spoiler now! With two fast courses coming, I should be a good spoiler.

The race course was a little "dumbed down" from last week. Most likely to prevent injuries since we life flighted a guy last week. He's okay, nothing broken. Meaning the course was fast, with one long climb, that killed me. Bastards! The coffin barrier and short run-up was the best part, I felt I nailed it everytime. The twisty sections were fun and fast, that's were i would catch the fools who passed me on the climb.


My costume...Stewie from Family Guy ($20 @ Target) complete with head and big plastic ass. Chics dug the huge ass. I ditched the head att eh start of the race, too big and would have been problems. So, those who didn't see me in complete costume prior to the race called me Mario, as in Super Mario. I had on red/yellow clothes...anyway. Lots of compliments on the ass. Still searching for good photos from the photags.


The only free pic I could find...

No comments: