About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Weekend Wrap-Up

Flew in late last night, so I was hoping to sleep in a bit today, but for some reason, I didn't. I had a swim and bike on the schedule to loosen up before the Jack Frost Time Trial tomorrow. Headed to the pool around 2pm. Decent workout. Scott has me doing some fly, back and breast stroke work now. My new stroke works great with fly and breaststroke. Not so much with backstroke. I have no idea if I am doing the fly correctly. It doesn't hurt, so, I should be close. It's fun, but very taxing.

Later that afternoon I spun out on the trainer for 90mins watching a Tour of California stage. Then it was bed.

JACK FROST TT

The first rider went off at 9:45am Sunday morning, my time, was 1:09pm...a bit later. I signed up with OBRA as a category 4/5 still...but when I went to sign-up foe the time trial (TT), I put down Cat 3. I knew I was going to be competitive in that Cat. But, all that was good for was getting a later start time and less rain for the race since I ended up being scored as a 4/5.

There was a gnarly wind all morning plus some rain mixed in. The wind ended up being a tail wind for the out and a headwind for the back. Reports were coming in of a 10mph difference...yikes. I had no computer or HR monitor, still, so it was all on perceived effort (PE). I figured if I listened to my legs and went hard enough to hurt, yet easy enough to get the lactic acid flushed, I should do well.

I went flying out of the gate @1:09pm as the last rider of Cat 3. There was no one chasing me, I had the whole Cat to chase down...each rider started in 30 sec intervals. I caught the first guy in the first couple minutes. The second guy just after the turnaround as the wind (20mph+) was in our faces. It hurt...I clicked down to some easier gears, still in the big ring. I had to keep my cadence a little higher than onthe way out to keep it "easier to maintain some speed."

I crossed the line in 29mins 4 seconds...good for a 4th place tie in Cat 3 (where I wanted to be scored) and 1st place in the 4/5s (where I ended up being scored). I was tied for 22nd (out of 314) in the combined results. My time was also faster than last year by 20 seconds. Overall, a solid effort coming off the training week in AZ.

Here's me coming off the last corner before the finish!








No comments: