About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lompoc...Day 03

Today was the first of several LONG bike days. I was looking at a 7 hour ride and the weather wasn't looking very sunny. It turned out to be just fine with plenty of sun breaks and break of other nature as well.

Chris and I rode out HWY 1 to 101 to Refugio Beach. A nice 90mins later we were somewhere close to the top before it turned to gravel. We were int he clouds somwhere between 3000' and 3500', Broadcast Peak was somewhere up a head at 4000' My bike was making horrible noises and I couldn't figure it out as well as skipping gears. The descent was very cold. We were at 4 hours now. I fooled with the rear derailuer and started to ride - snap - there goes my chain. A brand new SRAM 1090 chain broke!!! WTF? Now what? Luckily, two ladies who were showing other cycling camps around the area gave me a lift to Solvang for a new chain. Took nearly an hour, but I was on my way back to Lompoc. Two hours later I arrived just before dark. 90 total miles.

No transition run, I'll do it tomorrow. I wanted to go to SLO and see a mass finish of the ToC, but oh well.

I got my flight to Abu Dhabi this morning finalized...holy shit, I'm flying half way around the world for a job interview!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Look please here