About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Expat from Portland, OR living, working and training in the UAE

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lompoc...Day 05

I guess this is only day 5 of training, I did arrive on Sunday (technically day 06). Remember that mental battle I won yesterday, it got me in trouble, almost, today. Score is now 1 all. I woke up ate two breakfast burritos and drove to Solvang. From there Figuroa Mountain via Happy Canyon is 3+ hours. The skies were a bit dark in the hills and still 20mph+ winds from the SE. Nice easy spin to the start of the climb, then came some hard core down pours. I pushed through the first, pushed through the second, now I was soaked (had a clear jacket on even) and I had just crossed the cattle guard as the road turns to dirt, soft dirt, soft wet dirt. The water goes nowhere, I mean, just runs off the hillside down the street or gully...I can see how it floods here, a lot. So, anyway, last downpour, bike is sinking in the mud, I called it. I was cold and wet and for whatever reason, I felt defeated. I rode back to Solvang with my tail shivering between my legs. It got sunny once I was off the hill. If I hadn't been so determined to get up Fig today, I prolly could have had a great 5 hour ride in the valley somewhere... oh well.

Once back to Solvang, changed and got a phone call from Chris B in Tucson. He's doing well and training hard. He said there might be some 60 male pros at AZ...good luck boys! He also invited me down, if I need some more training. Maybe Jen and I can swing down there for spring break and I just stay there til the race... If I somehow ink my new job by then, that's totally the plan. Maybe even if I haven't!! I also had a fillo pastry with butter and raspberry filling - so F'ING GOOD while I was watching Levi rip the legs off everyone at the ToC TT! Man, he was flying today! Also, as bad as this is, bought a RRC trucker hat...in black with lime green logo :)

Alas, I gets no photos cuz me left me camera in Lompoc...bummer.

Bedtime, 8am swim, 10am ride for 110miles or so...see link in previous post. Actually, skinny cow ice cream sandwich first! Bitches!

No comments: